THANK YOU for serving as the day captain for your shift! Your time is very much appreciated!
- A week prior to your shift, confirm all volunteers will attend.
- Shift times are 10:10am - 12:15pm. Please make sure everyone arrives on time. The first class comes through at 10:30am
- Servers need to wear an apron and hat/visor. Aprons are provided but hats are not provided. No cell phones can be out in the service line.
- Each month, please introduce yourself to Donna and the others until they get to know you. They have all the students PLUS all of the volunteers coming in every day so it is hard to always remember everyone!
- Establish your communication method early via email, text or group me. This enables your shift team to know where to look for all cafeteria communications for your shift time.
- Set the expectation with your shift to communicate with you as soon as they know they will not be able to make their shift. All volunteers must find their own subs. It is NOT your job to find a sub. However, if a sub is not found, you wil need to let the PTA Cafeteria Volunteer Director know so she can call the Board member who is on-call. Finding a sub early is MUCH easier. We all understand last minute things come up and kids get sick, but having a plan in place ahead of time will save time and stress.
- Any sub must have had a background check prior to serving. Background checks are completed through the BSSU process; therefore, if you did not provide information during that time, you have not been cleared to volunteer. If you are not sure your volunteer status, please call Hyer’s front office.
- Please bring your shift members contact information with you to your shift. It is your responsibility as a Day Captain to call someone if they are late.
- If YOU have a sub, please make sure your shift is aware so they will know who to contact in your absence. Your designated sub should have everyone’s contact information for the shift.
- Lead your team by example. Don’t hesitate to ask someone to change gloves if needed or make suggestions if they are not following the rules.
- Please no eating or drinking in line. The City of Dallas health inspection rules state that no drinks or cell phones are allowed in the line. If you do not follow these guidelines, infractions could occur. Please be mindful of this during your shift.
- Ice Cream Days: Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade students only. Fridays for Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd and 4th grade students only.
- You are welcome to stay after and eat lunch or grab a lunch and go. This is one added benefit of working cafeteria.
- Have fun! The kids love seeing you and it is a great way to meet other parents